Baltic Fort Route

BFR Menu
Baltic Fort Route
Fascination Fortress
Fortress Kaunas (Kaunas)
Attractive City
on the Nemunas River

Kaunas, the second biggest city of Lithuania, lies at the confluence of the two rivers Nemunas and Neris and has a very interesting Old Town. The Major Fortress Kaunas defended famous buildings as the cathedral, the Jesuit Church and the historical City Hall from this strategic place. Close to the Town Hall Square the ruins of the Kaunas castle and the St. Georgs-Church can be found. In one of the side streets of the square you can find the Perkunas House, a late gothic middle-class house. Two historical cable funiculars still take passengers onto the high terraces above the Nemunas valley on the both sides of the Old Town.


Fortress Kaunas - Kaunas monuments around the city


Postal Adress:
Municipality of Kaunas City
Mr. Vygantas Gudenas
Laisves ave. 96
LT-44251 Kaunas
Phone: +37 (0)37 / 422 631
Fax: +37 (0)37 / 207 341
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Tourist info:
Kaunas Region Tourism Information
Mr. Sigitas Sidaravicius
Laisves ave. 36
LT-44240 Kaunas
Phone: +37 (0)37 / 323 436
Fax: +37 (0)37 / 423 678
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

The Kaunas Fortress

Survived objects of the Kaunas
Fortress (about 200 separate objects)
are located in all territory of the
City of Kaunas, Lithuania.

Military Museum of Vytautas the Great
Mr. Dr. Gintautas Surgailis
K. Donelaicio str. 64
LT-44248 Kaunas
Phone: +37 (0)37 / 320 765
+37 (0)37 / 320 939
Fax: +37 (0)37 / 320 765
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Museum of Fort No IX
of the Kaunas Fortress

Mrs. Janina Menciuniene
Zemaiciu road 73
LT-47435 Kaunas
Phone: +37 (0)37 / 377 750
+37 (0)37 / 377 748
Fax: +37 (0)37 / 377 715
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Rescue the Major Fortress Kaunas as European Cultural Heritage

After the third partition of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, the Russian Empire began to make a lodgment in the occupied territory. The first fortification for Kaunas on the dominating hill remained unfinished. Being perturbed by the outcome of the Franco-Prussian War, Russia resumed the construction of fortresses at its western borders.

Chains of fortresses were mapped out for defense against a potential invasion from Germany in the West. 1879 the Russian Emperor Alexander II approved to build the fortress in Kaunas.

In 1882 the general layout of the Fortress was configured the city’s encirclement with a ring of seven forts and nine interjacent stationary artillery batteries, equipping the central fortification lines with artillery redoubts, laying of roads, erection of a military railway station, military barracks, workshops, food warehouses, ammunition magazines etc. Later the Kaunas fortress was modernized and enlarged several times. The Kaunas Fortress was a totally independent, one of the strongest and most modern fortress system in the Russian empire.

1915 the Kaunas Fortress garrison in separate Fortress units persistently struggled against Kaiser Army, but after the attack that lasted 11 days, the fortification ring was broken. The Kaiser’s Army crossed the Nemunas and entered Kaunas. The garrison of Kaunas fortress was evacuated.

During the Second World War the Kaunas Fortress was not used for military purposes. 6th, 7th and 9th forts were converted into concentration camps. Thousands of war prisoners and civilians were imprisoned and killed in them. After the Second World War the museum and the monument for the Holocaust victims were erected at the ninth fort.

The unique complex of Kaunas Fortress that has survived till the present time is part of history and culture not only of Lithuania, but Europe as well. Kaunas Fortress is remarkable in historic, urban and architectural aspects.

Fortress events
Kaunas City Days May
Kaunas Jazz Festival
The Pažaislis Classical
Music festival
The Kaunas’
Song and Dance Festival

The City of Science
promotes the Renovation of
the Fortress

Kaunas and its universities are actively involved in preserving and modernizing the Fort No V for a cultural-historical utilization. It is situated close to the Kauno Mare reservoir and is planned to become leisure- and meeting point for the unified European youth.

Students of all Kaunas universities work on use strategies that are in line with generally accepted conservation practices. The Holocaust monument and the prison of the czar in Fort No IX attract thousands of visitors each year. Interesting cultural experiments, events and plays are in the public eye quite often.

City of Museums
and Culture

Kaunas – provisional capital of Lithuania may be rightly called the capital of the museums – the number approaches to forty. Moreover, the very first Lithuanian museums were established here. Kaunas’ most famous museum is the M. K. Čiurlionis National Art Museum founded in 1921. The collections include heritage of works by famous painter and composer of the Lithuania M. K. Čiurlioni.

These are lot of art galleries, presenting works of professional Lithuanian and foreign painters and inexhaustible treasures of folk creation, the memorial museums of history, pedagogy, nature knowledge, Lithuanian writers, composers and culture workers.

Webmaster: Wojciech Bien | This project is part-financed by the European Union (European Regional Development Fund) within the BSR INTERREG-III-B program |