Baltic Fort Route

BFR Menu
Baltic Fort Route
Fascination Fortress
Fortress Boyen (Giżycko)
Historical Fortress
Monument with manifold
Utilization Perspectives

The Boyen Fortress was built between 1844 and 1856 and presents an excellent example of Prussian fortification. The Fortress obtained its name after the Prussian general, Hermann von Boyen, who as the first presented the idea of building such military structure in the center of the Great Masurian Lakes region. Today, the great historical Fort Boyen is a place for events, leisure time and relaxation as well as an information center for the place’s history.



Fortress Boyen - Giżycko
lifestyle, art and events


Postal Adress:
Deputy Mayor of Giżycko
Mr. Paweł Czacharowski
14 1-Maja al.
PL-11-500 Giżycko
Phone: +48 (0) 87 / 428 39 38
Fax: +48 (0) 87 / 428 52 41
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Tourist Info:
Promotion and Tourist
Information Centre
Mr. Robert Kempa
7 Warszawska st.
PL-11-500 Giżycko
Phone: +48 (0) 87 / 428 52 65
Fax: +48 (0) 87 / 428 57 60
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Fortress Boyen:

Postal Adress:
1 Turystyczna st.
PL-11-500 Giżycko

Management & Guidances:
The Boyen Fortress
Appreciation Society
Mr. Wojciech Chodakowski
1 Turystyczna st.
PL-11-500 Giżycko
Phone: +48 (0) 87 / 428 29 59
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it


Opening hours:
Summertime: 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Other months: 9 a.m. – 5 a.m.
Students hostel: May to October

Barrier Fortress on
the Masurian lake Plateau

The fortress protected the East Prussian region against the north-eastern Russian empire and the Baltic region. The defense system included the natural conditions and geography of the Masurian Lakes and the Rivers.

During World War I, the Boyen Fortress proved its strategic importance when a very tough battle between Russian and Prussian troops took place in August, 1914. Furthermore, the fortress was defended
once more in February, 1945 when the Red Army had to retreat after an unsuccessful attack against German soldiers.

After World War II, the Boyen Fortress was used by the army until 1957. After that it became the property of the town of Giżycko and several local firms
were located there. Since the early 90s the fortress has been considered as a tourist product, therefore various initiatives to develop its functionality
were undertaken.

Fortress events
Heavy and Vintage
Motorcycle Ralley
February / July
The Giżycko Days
The Chant Festival July
The Cabaret Night
The Summer Festival July
St. Brunos Fair
The Jazz Festival August
Hidden Architecture in
attractive Nature

The fortress is surrounded by a 2,30-meter-long stone-brick wall and composed of six bastions. The name of the bastions derived from the three first names of general von Boyen: Leopold, Ludwig and Herrmann. The other bastions have the names Law, Sword and Light.

Four gates lead to the internal part of the Boyen Fortress where the following buildings can be found: barracks, arsenal, artillery positions but also a bakery and a pigeon post station. The fortress is completely surrounded by forest.

Leisure and Relaxation in a
Historical Setting

The combination of a historical building and fascinating
nature offers numerous possibilities for leisure and relaxation. Project camps, theater plays, competitions and events take place at the inner parts of the fortress. A museum describes the history of the place. A gallery shows handicraft art. The manifold paths around the fort can be explored on an exciting Quad- or Jeep ride.

The neighboring lakes offer many water sports activities
and the landscape invites to extensive tracking tours.

Webmaster: Wojciech Bien | This project is part-financed by the European Union (European Regional Development Fund) within the BSR INTERREG-III-B program |