Baltic Fort Route


BFR Menu
Home
Baltic Fort Route
Fascination Fortress
Contact
Impressum
Fortress Kaliningrad (Kaliningrad)
Rare Example
of a well preserved
Major Fortress in Europe

The focus of fortification on the German Empire?s eastern frontier was Fortress Kaliningrad. To secure the border against Russia, the Prussian King Frederic William IV ordered the city to be fortified. The city was circumvallated from 1843 to 1862 in the ?new Prussian system?; the ?Friedland Gate? was inaugurated in 1862. The circumvallation was finished in 1889/90 with the completion of the Meadow Front between
the Pregel and Lithuania Bastions.

 

Fortress Kaliningrad - Kaliningrad
gates to Europe

City:

Postal Adress:
Kaliningrad City Hall
RU-236040 Kaliningrad
1, Ploshad Pobedy
Phone: +7 (4012) 923 122
Fax: +7 (4012) 211 677
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Tourist Info:
Info tourist centre
RU-236039 Kaliningrad
10, Epronovskaya St.
Phone: +7 (4012) 631 400
Fax: +7 (4012) 630 100
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it


Info tourist centre“Royal Castle”
RU-236000 Kaliningrad
81, Leninskiy Prospect
Central hall of hotel“Kaliningrad”,
ground floor
Phone/Fax: +7 (4012) 350 782
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
www.kaliningradinfo.ru

Fortress:

NGO “Museum of Fortifications
and military equipment Fort No 5”

RU-236000 Kaliningrad,
Sovetskiy Prospect,
at the exit to Svetlogorsk roadway
Phone: +7(4012) 453 902
www.museum.ru/westrussia/warsexp.html
Tue-Sun 10:00-18:00
(box office 10:00-17:00)
Mon - closed

Museum Friedland Gate
RU-236004 Kaliningrad
30, Dzerzhinskogo St.
Phone: +7 (4012) 644 020
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
www.museum.gazinter.net
Tue-Sun 10:00-17:00
Mon - closed

Amber Museum
RU-236016 Kaliningrad
1, Ploshad Marshala Vasilevskogo
Phone: +7 (4012) 466 888
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
www.ambermuseum.ru
Summertime:
Tue-Sun 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Wintertime:
Tue-Sun 10 a.m-6 p.m.
Mon closed

 

Fascinating Fortress System of Kaliningrad

The uniqueness of the Kaliningrad Fortress system comes from the mostly well preserved site, a complete brick stone architecture, the visibility of the fortress structure and of the fronts in the city’s ground plan, the massiveness of its walls, the oneof-
a-kind gate architecture and the massive rings of the outer forts and intermediate works.

The system mainly consists of the fortress gates that belong to the enceinte, the walls and the fronts as well as the outer forts.

Walls and Fronts of the Enceinte

The area is protected by a number of fronts within the rampart ring:

The “Northern Front”

The Lower Grolman‘s Front: Bastion Lithuania, Envelope
Lithuania / Copper Pond, fronted by the place d’armes and Reduit, the main wall between the Bastions Lithuania and the Copper Pond, the Reduit caponiers and Raveline Sackheim
and the Upper Copper Pond.

The Upper Grolman‘s Front: Bastion Copper Pond and Copper Pond reduit caponiers, the main wall between the Copper Pond and Grolman Bastions, Bastion Grolman and Grolman Reduit, main wall between the Bastions Grolman and Upper Pond, Bastion Upper Pond and the Upper Pond Reduit caponiers.

Upper Pond-Front: The main wall between Bastion Upper Pond and the Dohna-Tower, the Dohna Tower, the crenellated wall at the Upper Pond between the Dohna and Wrangel towers, the Wrangel tower, the main wall between the Wrangel tower
and Bastion Tragheim.

The Upper Krauseneck Front: Bastion Tragheim and the Tragheim Reduit, the main wall between Bastions Tragheim and Krauseneck, the Bastion Krauseneck and Krauseneck Reduit, the main wall between Bastion Krauseneck and the Observatory, the Observatory Bastion and the Observatory Reduit.

The Lower Krauseneck Front: The main wall between the Observatory Bastion and Pregel River (in the section of the main wall with the Bastions Butterberg and Laak).

The “Southern Front”

The “Brandenburg Front”: Fort Friedrichsburg with protecting envelope, the connecting front, the Railway Salient, the Old Garden Bastion, and Bastion Brandenburg.

The “Haberberg Front“: Bastion Haberberg, Ravelin Haberberg, Cavalier Haberberg, Ravelin Friedland, Cavalier Friedland and Bastion Pregel.



Fortress events
The International
Knight Festival
“Regiomons. Königsberg“
July
Rock-Bike Festival
“Baltic Storm“
summer

Forts of fortress Kaliningrad
Fort I Fort Stein
Int.work Ia
Intermediate work Goeben
Fort II Fort Bronsart
Int.work IIa
Intermediate work Barnekow
Fort III Feste Koenig Friedrich III.
Fort IV Fort Gneisenau
Fort V Fort Koenig Friedrich Wilhelm III.
Int.work Va Intermediate work Lehndorf
Fort VI Fort Koenigin Luise
Fort VII Fort Herzog von Holstein
Fort VIII Fort Koenig Friedrich I.
Fort IX Fort Dohna
Fort X Fort Kanitz
Fort XI Fort Doenhoff
Fort XII Fort Eulenburg
Gates controlled the Ways

The fortress gates within the city walls opened the fortress to the outside. They have a characteristic romantic architecture with Neo Gothic forms.
The ceremonial laying of the foundation stone for the Kingsgate (1843 – 1850) took place in presence of the Prussian King Frederic William IV in 1843. Ernst Ludwig von Aster, the architect Friedrich August Stüler and the sculptor Wilhelm Stürmer are known to be creators and master builders of the gates.

The statues of the three rulers King Ottokar, King Frederic I and Duke Albrecht crown the top of the middle tower.

After a very complex restoration for the 750-year anniversary celebration of the city, the reopening ceremony took place in the presence of the Russian President Putin, the German Chancellor Schröder and the French President Chirac. The Sackheimer Gate (1855 – 1860) and the Roßgärter Gate (1852 – 1855) are also well preserved. The entrance gate to the Friedrichsburg (1858) remained in ruins up to modern days. The relief of the Brandenburg Gate (1850, Stüler) presents the medallions of the Generals von Aster and von Boyen. The gate is still used as a traffic gateway. The Friedländer Gate (1857 – 1862) is now a frequently visited museum.

12 Forts around the City

By the Government order of June 24th, 1872, the construction of a detached fortification was also initiated for Kaliningrad. The fortress was supplemented from 1874 to 1885 by a ring comprising 11 forts, another two intermediate works and a 12th fort were added between 1887 and 1890. Under the renaming of the forts in 1894, the detached Contienen Redoubt, belonging to the inner defensive ring, was given the name “Auerswald Work”.

The system was consolidated up to the outbreak of the First World War with 280 chambers (infantry, artillery, machine gun and accommodation positions), 9 support points and 25 sconces and several outposts along the Lauther position to the north-east.

 

 
Webmaster: Wojciech Bien | This project is part-financed by the European Union (European Regional Development Fund) within the BSR INTERREG-III-B program |