Baltic Fort Route

BFR Menu
Baltic Fort Route
Fascination Fortress
Fortress Modlin (Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki)
One-of-a-kind Bastion
at the Confluence of the
Rivers Vistula and Narev

Modlin is probably the largest-in-size historical fortress site in Poland today.
Napoleon began to expand the fortress to both sides of the River Narev at the estuary into the Vistula to secure his leadership in Eastern Europe. During the 19 th century the Russian Czar considerably expanded the fortress again employing Polish construction workers. Here, the architecture of different empires can be seen.


Fortress Modlin - Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki
a giant fortress system


Postal Adress:
Municipality Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki
Promotion and Development Department
Zakroczymska 30
PL-05-100 Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki
Phone: +48 (0)22 / 775-16-73
Fax: +48 (0)22 / 775-55-57
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Tourist Info:
Local Tourist Organisation
Mrs. Ewelina Odrzywołek
Paderewskiego 3B
PL-05-100 Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki
Phone: +48 (0)22 / 775-70-58
Fax: +48 (0)22 / 775-70-58
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Local Division of Polish Tourism
and Landscape Society
Chairman Piotr Skonieczny
Zakroczymska 36 Street
PL-05-100 Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki
Phone: +48 (0)22 / 775-25-05
+48 (0)22 / 775-93-37

Fortress Modlin:

Postal Adress:
Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki
District Modlin Twierdza
PL-05-160 Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki

Military Officer Club
Chairman Andrzej Swider
Phone: +48 (0)22 / 686 24 90

Foundation “Military Park of Modlin
Chairman Michal Janson
Mobile: +48 (0)604 528 293
+48 (0)600 456 959
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it


Association of Admirers
of Modlin Fortress
Chairman Grzegorz Sokolowski
Gen. Ignacego Ledochowskiego 160 St.
PL-05–160 Modlin Fortress
Phone/Fax: +48 (0)22 / 686 21 35

Generally most of the objects are
open for tourists all year round.


Sightseeing with qualified guides
through the whole complex of Modlin
Touring through underground
construction fragments.

Architecture of different Empires

As the Swedish king Charles Gustavius, Napoleon recognized the strategic importance of the area. On January 8th, 1807 he ordered the construction of new fortifications. The original design was by the French general Chasseloup-Laubat. Building work continued up to 1812. The French troops capitulated on December 25th, 1813 and the fortress fell into Polish hands. Russia took over the fortress in 1830 when the Polish kingdom lost its autonomy.

Fortress Modlin was given the name of Novogeorgiyevsk in 1834. The Russians completely modernized the fortress from 1832 to 1841 on the basis of the designs by the generals Jan Dehn and Alexander Ivanovich Feldman. A lot of forts were still under construction when the First World War broke out. The Germans broke through in 1915 and after a week’s siege, took both Warsaw and Modlin on August 20th, 1915.

Modlin was reoccupied by Polish troops in November, 1918 and became a prominent military garrison in the following years. Considering the political developments in Europe and according to military requirements at that time, the construction of five reinforced concrete bunkers was started on the fortress lands in April 1939. They built two additional bridges across the Vistula and Narev and numerous tank barriers and field fortifications
in the fore field of the fortress.

Despite the heaviest bombardment, the German forces took over the fortress after an 11-day siege on September 22nd, 1939. The fortress played no particular role during the Second World War, but Fort III served the Nazis as a torture center for thousands of civilians.

German occupation continued up to January 18th, 1945. The local authorities of Modlin, Nowy Dwór and Zakroczym erected a memorial for the victims in 1957. Fortress Modlin is being decorated with the Order of the Grunwald Cross, Class II.

Fortress events
Exhibition of paintings,
sculptures, drawings and
every month
every month
The international ralley
of historical vehicles
Historical performance


Largest Barracks at that time

After 1840, one of the longest barrack of all time, measuring 2,25 meters, was built within the Citadel for a garrison of 20 to 30,000 men over a period of ten years. Nowadays, this architectonic barrack is the center of the Citadel. It is partly used for some State archives. From both corner towers on the Vistula River, one has a fantastic view over both rivers and on clear days up to Warsaw.

Completely preserved
Citadel architecture

The heart of the major fortress Modlin is the citadel. With her 2.2 km long barrack and the bastioned enceinte, it is almost completely preserved. Many parts of the fortress and constructions such as walls, ditches, gates, sheds and outer defenses make the citadel an open air museum of a special kind. There are many unknown things that can be explored.

Wide ranging Girdle of Forts

The forts, built from 1810 to 1812, were developed into larger, regular works, surrounding the fortress. Eight brick forts were built from 1870 to 1880 at distances from 2 to 6 kilometers from the citadel. A further girdle of forts was erected from 1912 to 1914 with 10 concrete structures at distances from 5 to 10 kilometers from the citadel, forming a ring of approx. 50 kilometers. The forts serve different functions today and have different owners.

Webmaster: Wojciech Bien | This project is part-financed by the European Union (European Regional Development Fund) within the BSR INTERREG-III-B program |