Baltic Fort Route

BFR Menu
Baltic Fort Route
Fascination Fortress
Fortress Peitz

The last Remains of a former great Fortification

In a sales document from the year 1301, Peitz was first named as “opidum et castum“ (city and castle).
Not only because of its border situation to Saxonia and Böhmen, Peitz experienced a frequent change of owners. By building the fortress from 1559 to 1562 the possession of the margrave should be protected in a long term.

Over the centuries this building was characterdetermining for the city. Many parts of the fortress were taken down during the expanding of the City of Peitz.

Fortress Peitz - Peitz
feel the middle age



Postal Adress:
Municipality of Peitz
Department for Culture and Tourism
Mrs. Maria Sczesny
Markt 1 / Rathaus
D-03185 Peitz
Phone: +49 (0)35601 / 8150
Fax: +49 (0)35601 / 81515
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Tourist Info:
Tourist Information “Peitzer Land“
Markt 1
D-03185 Peitz
Phone: +49 (0)35601 / 8150
Fax: +49 (0)35601 / 81515
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it


Fortress Peitz:

Postal Adress:
Festungsturm Peitz
Festungsweg 2
D-03185 Peitz

Förderverein für die Museen
der Stadt Peitz e.V.
c/o Christoph Malcherowitz
Schulstraße 4
D-03185 Peitz
Phone: +49 (0)35601 / 33307
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Phone: +49 (0)35601 / 33307

The Malzhaus-Bastei (Malthouse Bulwark) is also called the “Small Bulwark above the Malthouse”.

It was built in the mid-16th century and consisted originally of five casemate-type vaults, put to both military and civil use. These casemates originally contained the former maltings of the Peitz Civic Administration.
The beer regulations by the Margrave Johann von Küstrin declared in 1567 that all thirteen baronial villages had to obtain their beer from the City of Peitz.

It was only allowed to mix pure springwater, hops and malt to produce the beer.



The Malthouse Bulwark is a brick-built building whose vaults were rendered bomb proof through the application of heavy layers of earth and loam. The bastion’s gun platform was reached by a ramp on the western side.

This served as an extensive cavalier for the fortress artillery. The bulwark was defended by a protective earthwork and a wet ditch. This earthwork and the ditch secured the northern side of the fortress and prevented enemies from penetrating it.

The Malthouse Bulwark was originally square in plan, with the magazine building (Mauerstrasse) adjoining its western side. It contained the fortress
stores. Smaller civil houses flanked the eastern side of the bulwark.



Fortress events
Sightseeing -
admiring ponds and visiting
an opencast mine
Music Festival by the Pond June-July
The long Museums’Night September
The Carp Day in Peitz October


Rudiments of the Fortress


The fortress is situated in Europe’s largest Lakeland. You should plan on an original Peitzer Fish-Dinner when visiting the fort. For the last four centuries, the famous Peitzer carp has been bred in these lakes - a very special treat.

The Lakeland invites to a bike tour on one of the extensive bike paths.




The Fortress affected the
Development of the City
and its Structure


The structure of Fortress Peitz in the 16th century determined today’s street and place system. People can easily see the places where ramparts, bastions and ditches used to characterize the city’s ppearance. Follow these structures to the Malt-house Bulwark and the fortress tower on an interesting sightseeing tour! This can be organized and booked at the Association for museums.

Interesting Exhibitions in
Fortress Buildings

The fortress tower, built from the 13th to the 16th century, has up to 6-meters thick walls and is the oldest building of the region. There is a museum for city and fortress history inside. The Malthouse Bulwark, a famous preserved building of the Peitz Fortress was renovated and also presents an exhibition about the fortress itself.




Webmaster: Wojciech Bien | This project is part-financed by the European Union (European Regional Development Fund) within the BSR INTERREG-III-B program |