Baltic Fort Route


BFR Menu
Home
Baltic Fort Route
Fascination Fortress
Contact
Impressum
Fortress Doemitz

Fortress Dömitz –
Gate to the River Elbe

To the order of Duke Johann Albrecht of Mecklenburg
Castle Dömitz was built from 1559 to 1565 on the ruins of an early Middle Ages fortress. In the basic form of a regular pentagon the castle is a military installation in the Italian castle style.

Purpose and task of this castle was to secure the south-western border of Mecklenburg, to control the crossings of the River Elbe as well as ensuring the Elbe customs in the harbor of Dömitz. The former military fortress has now become a place of culture.

Fortress Dömitz - Dömitz exhibitions in powder magazine

 

City:

Postal Adress:

Municipality of Dömitz
Mayor Mrs. Renate Vollbrecht
Rathausplatz 1
D-19303 Dömitz
Phone: +49 (0)38758 / 31620
Fax: +49 (0)38758 / 31655
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
www.amtdoemitz-malliss.de

Tourist Info:
Dömitz Tourist Information
Mrs. Marina Möller
Rathausplatz 1
D-19303 Dömitz
Phone: +49 (0)38758 / 22112
Fax: +49 (0)38758 / 35815
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
www.doemitz.de

 

 

Fortress Dömitz:

 

Postal adress:
Auf der Festung 3
D-19303 Dömitz
www.festung-doemitz.de

Management:
Museum Fortress Dömitz
Mr. Jürgen Scharnweber
Phone: +49 (0)38758 / 22401
Fax: +49 (0)38758 / 36086
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Information:

Opening hours:
May - October
Tuesday - Friday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Saturday – Sunday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
November – April
Tuesday – Sunday: 10 a.m - 4.30 p.m.
Holidays: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Guidances:

Tour Reservation:
Phone: +49 (0)38758 / 22401
Phone: +49 (0)38758 / 22112

 

 

The Dömitz Citadel, located on the bank of the River Elbe in Mecklenburg, is one of the few very well maintained 16th century flatland fortresses of Northern Germany. Arranged in the form of a pentangle, with bastions and vaulted casemates, it is a textbook example of the impressive military architecture of the Renaissance.

Fortress Dömitz gives a good insight into its almost 800-years of history in the powder magazine, the Museum’s finest and most expressive exhibition area. The Governor’s house and the tower are attractive and interesting as well.

On the bastions and in the casemates the visitor will get an insight of the installation and the defense systems of the castle.

 

structure and maintained it as a historic monument. The site was secured and renovated repeatedly in the following decades. Federal funds were made available for essential repairs and safeguarding work in the 80s under the Future Investment Program.

 

 

Through one of the five bastions of castle a tunnel leads the visitor directly to the large courtyard. The visitor‘s view falls directly on the large former Commander‘s House.

The fortress was placed under monument protection in 1975 because of the special nature, of its structure and its extraordinary state of preservation. In 1953 a museum for the history of Dömitz‘ city and region was founded in the fortress rampart.



Fortress events
The Art of "Kitsch" March
The Holiday of the Northern Germany
May

 

Museum presents
the Regional Culture

 

The Dömitz Fortress Museum is an essential civic history museum with a versatile, well mounted display of the city’s historical development from the 17th century up to the present. The regional history character of the museum is further stressed by an exhibition on the importance of Dömitz at the navigation of the River Elbe and an extensive ethnographical
department concerned with the “Griese Area”.

The museum has a large number of working and household tools in the folkloristic exhibition, which lets the visitor immerse into the work of a blacksmith or in the daily work of the housewives and their daughters. There is another exhibition about the importance of shipping on the River Elbe.

For the economical and characteristic regional development of Dömitz it
played a major role. Now it is part of the historical themes of the museum as well.

 

 

Sandstone Portal Restoration -
a Step towards Completion


 
The entrance to the Dömitz Fortress is an extravagantly
designed portal built towards the “Cavalier” Bastion.
The “Sandstone Portal” was erected in late Dutch Renaissance style. With help of the European Union
it was reconstructed and renovated in 2006 and 2007 and now adorns the fortress.
     

 

 
Webmaster: Wojciech Bien | This project is part-financed by the European Union (European Regional Development Fund) within the BSR INTERREG-III-B program |