Baltic Fort Route

BFR Menu
Baltic Fort Route
Fascination Fortress
Fort Hahneberg (BERLIN)

Fortress in the

Fort Hahneberg was a part of the defense system of Berlin-Spandau connected with the Spandau Citadel. It was built between 1882 and 1886 to protect the growing city with its young industry. Until 1945 it served the most varied military purposes. After the war, the citizens of the surrounding municipalities used the fort as a quarry to repair their own homes. Because of its position within the inner German
boundary, the Fort was situated in the so-called “No man‘s land“ until the reunification in 1989.
A non-profit association was founded for protecting the fort. The fort is now in a cross-fire between conservation and nature protection. Due to this it is partially closed up to the present.

Fort Hahneberg - Berlin
overgrown vegetation expands on the walls

Postal Adress:
Town District Spandau von Berlin
Department Education,
Culture and Sports
Carl–Schurz–Strasse 2–6
D–13597 Berlin
Phone: +49 (0)30 / 3303 – 2230
Fax: +49 (0)30 / 3303 – 3958

Tourist Info:
Spandau Information
Breite Strasse 32
D–13597 Berlin
Phone: +49 (0)30 / 3 33 93 88

Fort Hahneberg:
Postal Adress:

Fort Hahneberg
D-13593 Berlin
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Department Art and Culture
Mauerstr. 6
D-13597 Berlin
Phone: +49 (0)30 / 333 40 22
Fax: +49 (0)30 / 333 85 14
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Open season 2008:
1st April - 31st October
Due to the hibernation of many
animals Fort Hahneberg is closed
in the winter period.

Regular guided tours:
Saturday, Sundays and public holidays
11 a.m., 12.30 p.m., 2 p.m., 3.30 p.m.
Duration: 90 minutes
Special guidances are offered

ASG Fort Hahneberg e. V.
Ernst–Bruch–Zeile 39
D–13591 Berlin
Phone: +49 (0)30 3 66 46 05
Fax: +49 (0)30 3 66 49 81
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it



Fort Hahneberg was built as a detached fort of the Fortress Spandau. The strengthening of imperial fortresses such as Metz, Cologne, Ingolstadt and
Spandau with a girdle of forts had already been decided in the “Notice concerning the extension of fortifications” of the year 1873. Of the four
forts planned for Spandau, only Fort Hahneberg in Staaken was built.


Even before the fort was completed, the so-called “bursting shell crisis” shook the whole basis of fortress construction; with the introduction of high explosives, fort masonry and brickwork became outdated. You can see the pointless attempts at Fort Hahneberg to counter this development by subsequently fitting concrete and iron girders.

Building work was recommenced at Fort Hahneberg with the rearmament
in 1934. Apart from the erection of further barrack blocks, substantial
conversion work was undertaken in the gorge barracks.

The gorge ditch defense was converted into a canteen and the fort as a whole was electrified and provided with the newest techniques. It sustained no appreciable damage during the war.


However, parts of the wall were demolished on the basis of the Demolition Order of 1949 and the stone was used for reconstruction. These measures are the main cause for the present damage to the masonry.


On its inclusion into the no-go area along the Inner-German border, Fort Hahneberg became a “sleeping beauty” for decades. The border was fixed in 1961 with the construction of the Wall, which runs precisely along the glacis. From now on, the fort was officially fully inaccessible.

Nature took the opportunity to expand unbridled during these years. The Fort was successfully “taken by storm” for the first time in 1990, after the border was opened. The National Monuments Office placed the Fort on the Heritage List in 1991.


Fortress events
Easter Festival March
Hahneberg festival
Night of 1000 Lights August
Fall Festival


Observe the Conflict
between Reconstruction
and Nature Protection

Being situated within the Inner-German borders for decades, nature recaptured the fort and developed a rich, interesting and precious flora and fauna. It not only took over the Fort, but it destroyed the structure of some parts of buildings. The reconstruction and renovation has started but monument
and nature protection still needs harmonization.



Invisible Underground

The defense function of Fort Hahneberg required a hidden architecture. Many parts of the building have been built underground and are connected by a large system of tunnels.

The entrance to the Fort is dominated by a barrack in the gorge that served as home to the garrison. The powder magazine can be reached through the poterne in the capital that was saved by a bascule bridge.

From the traverses the battery-platform can be seen very clearly. The site of Fort Hahneberg is very popular as film scenery, for military festivals and for the education of young construction workers.

There are numerous events, festivals and theatre plays in the interesting
setting of Fort Hahneberg. It is a great spot for recreation und relaxation at the boundary of Berlin.




Webmaster: Wojciech Bien | This project is part-financed by the European Union (European Regional Development Fund) within the BSR INTERREG-III-B program |