Baltic Fort Route


BFR Menu
Home
Baltic Fort Route
Fascination Fortress
Contact
Impressum
Citadel Spandau (BERLIN)

Adventure Cultural
Fortress Spandau

The Julius Tower in the Spandau Citadel is the oldest remaining structure in Berlin.
The fortress was built in the 16th century, but the main tower dates back to the 12th century.
Built to protect the court of the Elector of Brandenburg, the Citadel has seen quite a few different uses, including an ammunitions factory during the Thirty Years‘ War and a poison gas repository during WW II.
The Citadel Spandau offers a rich year-round cultural program, exhibitions, concerts and other activities for all age groups. The Citadel is one of the most interesting and most visited cultural centers in Berlin.

Citadel Spandau - Berlin
fortress of culture
Read more...
 
Fort Hahneberg (BERLIN)

Fortress in the
Cold-War-Border-Region

Fort Hahneberg was a part of the defense system of Berlin-Spandau connected with the Spandau Citadel. It was built between 1882 and 1886 to protect the growing city with its young industry. Until 1945 it served the most varied military purposes. After the war, the citizens of the surrounding municipalities used the fort as a quarry to repair their own homes. Because of its position within the inner German
boundary, the Fort was situated in the so-called “No man‘s land“ until the reunification in 1989.
A non-profit association was founded for protecting the fort. The fort is now in a cross-fire between conservation and nature protection. Due to this it is partially closed up to the present.

Fort Hahneberg - Berlin
overgrown vegetation expands on the walls
Read more...
 
Fort Gorgast (GORGAST)

Idyllic Place in exciting
Architecture


The fort was built from 1883 to 1889. It appears as an old bastion, due to the outwardly extending blockhouse and the gatehouse, the actual entrance to the entire building.

The fort was constructed on flat farmland and encircled with a 3-meter deep and 42-meter wide moat.

It is the best preserved outer fort of the Fortress Kostrzyn and a place for culture, events, galleries, recreation, leisure time and nature observation.

Fort Gorgast - Gorgast
bats in tunnels
Read more...
 
Fortress Doemitz

Fortress Dömitz –
Gate to the River Elbe

To the order of Duke Johann Albrecht of Mecklenburg
Castle Dömitz was built from 1559 to 1565 on the ruins of an early Middle Ages fortress. In the basic form of a regular pentagon the castle is a military installation in the Italian castle style.

Purpose and task of this castle was to secure the south-western border of Mecklenburg, to control the crossings of the River Elbe as well as ensuring the Elbe customs in the harbor of Dömitz. The former military fortress has now become a place of culture.

Fortress Dömitz - Dömitz exhibitions in powder magazine
Read more...
 
Fortress Peitz

The last Remains of a former great Fortification

In a sales document from the year 1301, Peitz was first named as “opidum et castum“ (city and castle).
Not only because of its border situation to Saxonia and Böhmen, Peitz experienced a frequent change of owners. By building the fortress from 1559 to 1562 the possession of the margrave should be protected in a long term.

Over the centuries this building was characterdetermining for the city. Many parts of the fortress were taken down during the expanding of the City of Peitz.

Fortress Peitz - Peitz
feel the middle age
Read more...
 
Fortress Kostrzyn (Kostrzyn nad Odrą)

New Life in Ruins

Plans for the reconstruction and restoration of the Old Town and Fortress are successively taking shape. The rubble has been removed from the ruined houses and streets. The Old Town is now a favourite destination and major attraction for tourists. The “Küstriner Festungstage” (“Küstrin Festival”) has been held here regularly since the year 2000. Many cultural and open-air activities are offered in the Old Town; concerts and exhibitions of contemporary art are organised in the Philipp Bastion; Artists from all over Europe exhibit at this location. A “Virtual Reconstruction of the Fortress and the Old Town of Kostrzyn nad Odrą” still exists.

Fortress Kostrzyn - Kostrzyn nad Odrą
the Pompeii on the Oder river
Read more...
 
Fortress Świnoujście - Świnoujście

An endless Horizon
between Water and Land

Świnoujście is an island city with international atmosphere that is surrounded by the Baltic Sea in the North, by the Swine River in the East and by the Stettiner Haff in the South. Świnoujście belongs to the most famous resorts on the Polish Baltic Coast and has a high frequency of international tourists. It is situated in a Seascape of amazing natural beauty. Of 44 islands only the three islands Uznam/Usedom, Wolin/Wollin and Karsibór/Kaseburg are inhabited. This natural paradise makes Świnoujście so favorable as a tourist place.

Fortress Świnoujście - Świnoujście
biking between fortifications
Read more...
 
Fortress Kołobrzeg (Kołobrzeg)
Fort Münde in the Centre
of Sea Tourism

Built in the 18th century and modernized in the first half of the 19th century, Fort Münde and its lighthouse from 1945 are the symbols of the city. Situated at the delta of the Persante River into the Baltic Sea, it dominates the view from the six kilometer long beaches of the Sea Resort Kołobrzeg.
It reminds of the city‘s former fortress history and its rich moving past.

 

Fortress Kołobrzeg - Kołobrzeg
beach, fortress and live
Read more...
 
Fort Grodzisko (Gdańsk)
Fortress on the Hill

Grodzisko Fort is located in the very center of Gdańsk, in the closest distance to the Main Railway Station and Central Bus Depot. It is situated on the Gradowa Hill, which is of more than 40 m height and dominates over the center of Gdańsk. The place was fortified around the 17th century and - together with Bishop’s Hill - formed the western front of Gdańsk’s fortifications. In its present shape the Grodzisko Fort origins from the 2nd half of the 19 th century when the great building works were undertaken by the Prussians. It was rebuilt as a polygonal fort.

 

Fort Grodzisko - Gdańsk
rich history of fortress town
Read more...
 
Fortress Vistulamouth (Gdańsk)
Unique Fortification
Monument on the River

Vistula A unique fortification monument – the Wisłoujście Fortress – is located in the close vicinity of the Westerplatte peninsula. The name Wisłoujście (the mouth of the Vistula) dates back to the time when the Vistula had its estuary north of the Wisłoujście Fortress. The site had a strategic importance as it gave control over the ships moving into and out of Gdańsks harbor and also into the famous cities along the river like the former Grudziądz, Toruń, Kraków and Warsaw.

 

 

Fortress Vistulamouth - Gdańsk
bivouac on the river
Read more...
 
Fortress Modlin (Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki)
One-of-a-kind Bastion
at the Confluence of the
Rivers Vistula and Narev

Modlin is probably the largest-in-size historical fortress site in Poland today.
Napoleon began to expand the fortress to both sides of the River Narev at the estuary into the Vistula to secure his leadership in Eastern Europe. During the 19 th century the Russian Czar considerably expanded the fortress again employing Polish construction workers. Here, the architecture of different empires can be seen.

 

Fortress Modlin - Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki
a giant fortress system
Read more...
 
Fortress Boyen (Giżycko)
Historical Fortress
Monument with manifold
Utilization Perspectives

The Boyen Fortress was built between 1844 and 1856 and presents an excellent example of Prussian fortification. The Fortress obtained its name after the Prussian general, Hermann von Boyen, who as the first presented the idea of building such military structure in the center of the Great Masurian Lakes region. Today, the great historical Fort Boyen is a place for events, leisure time and relaxation as well as an information center for the place’s history.

 

 

Fortress Boyen - Giżycko
lifestyle, art and events
Read more...
 
Fortress Kaliningrad (Kaliningrad)
Rare Example
of a well preserved
Major Fortress in Europe

The focus of fortification on the German Empire?s eastern frontier was Fortress Kaliningrad. To secure the border against Russia, the Prussian King Frederic William IV ordered the city to be fortified. The city was circumvallated from 1843 to 1862 in the ?new Prussian system?; the ?Friedland Gate? was inaugurated in 1862. The circumvallation was finished in 1889/90 with the completion of the Meadow Front between
the Pregel and Lithuania Bastions.

 

Fortress Kaliningrad - Kaliningrad
gates to Europe
Read more...
 
Fortress Kaunas (Kaunas)
Attractive City
on the Nemunas River

Kaunas, the second biggest city of Lithuania, lies at the confluence of the two rivers Nemunas and Neris and has a very interesting Old Town. The Major Fortress Kaunas defended famous buildings as the cathedral, the Jesuit Church and the historical City Hall from this strategic place. Close to the Town Hall Square the ruins of the Kaunas castle and the St. Georgs-Church can be found. In one of the side streets of the square you can find the Perkunas House, a late gothic middle-class house. Two historical cable funiculars still take passengers onto the high terraces above the Nemunas valley on the both sides of the Old Town.

 

Fortress Kaunas - Kaunas monuments around the city
Read more...
 
Webmaster: Wojciech Bien | This project is part-financed by the European Union (European Regional Development Fund) within the BSR INTERREG-III-B program |